About a week ago, I had posted in my weekly musings that Rob and I had gone to the state fair. I thought back on that this past week and my mind kept wandering back to all the food that I didn't eat at the fair which I normally do this time of year.
One such food item would be a good old candied apple. While Rob had one, I tried another type of fair treat. THE fried oreo's. Yes, those fried oreo's. You can read all about it on Gastronome Tart's facebook page.
Candied apples are the epitome of Fall for me. Especially in October. Who didn't bob for apples when they were a kid and then got the treat of actually dunking them in caramel afterwards?
Since I have always had dreams of being a pastry chef, I like most people are obsessed with Top Chef Desserts. This past episode their elimination challenge was to create a plated dessert that was inspired by a carnival treat. There was everything from funnel cake ice cream all the way to candied apple concoctions.
This got me thinking, I wanted to make a carnival treat that was plated as well. So, I started searching and came across this recipe for a caramel apple crisp, and nothing pairs better with an apple crisp than a big scoop of ice cream. In this case, cinnamon ice cream that is. Enjoy!
Cinnamon Ice Cream
1 cup milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of Salt
2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
5 large egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1. In a saucepan, heat the milk, cream and salt to a simmer.
2. Meanwhile, mix the egg yolks with the sugar and once the milk mixture is brought to a simmer, pour half of the milk mixture into the egg yolks and whisk the yolks the entire time.
3. Add the yolk and half milk mixture back into the saucepan. Bring to a simmer again and cook, stirring constantly until the custard has thickened. About 6-8 minutes.
4. Strain mixture through a fine sieve and then add the vanilla and cinnamon. Stir and then refrigerate the covered mixture for about 4 hours or preferably overnight.
5. Process the custard in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions.
Caramel Apple Crisp
Recipe adapted from Bon Appetit