Gastro...nome...Tart?! Is that you?
I know, I know... Long time no see or read. I'm sorry I have neglected you all these past few months. But, I made you a pie to make up for it. You like pie right? I knew you did. How about a nice coconut cream pie? One with a twist? Oh, yes you will enjoy it. I made sure of that. I even added some nice chocolate animal crackers for the crust.
I know, you can thank me later. But, first things first... Do you forgive my absence? I promise to not be gone that long again. Pie always makes everything alright doesn't it? Enjoy!
Coconut Cream Pie
For the Crust:
30 chocolate animal crackers
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut
For the Filling:
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 3/4 cups milk
4 large egg yolks
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sweetened shredded coconut
For the Topping:
1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioner's sugar
1. Make the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse the cookies with salt until a fine crumb forms. With machine running, add the butter and process until mixture resembles wet sand. Transfer to a bowl and stir in coconut until combined. Press mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Refrigerate until firm, about 15 minutes. Bake until crust is fragrant, about 8-10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
2. Make the filing: Combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the milk, and cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until bubbling and thick, about 7 minutes (about 2 minutes after it comes to a boil).
3. Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl until combined. Add milk mixture slowly in a steady stream, whisking until completely incorporated. Return mixture to a saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it returns to a boil, 1-2 minutes.
4. Strain mixture through a fine sieve into a large bowl, and stir in vanilla and coconut. Pour filling into baked and cooled crust, and smooth top. Refrigerate until filling is completely set, about 4 hours, or, wrapped tightly in plastic up to 2 days.
5. Make the topping: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the coconut in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake unitl golden, 6-10 minutes, tossing occasionally (check to make sure it doesn't burn). Transfer to a wire rack; let coconut cool completely. In a chilled bowl, whip cream and confectioner's sugar until soft peaks form. Top pie with whipped cream and toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
Adapted from: Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts